German grandmaster completes the field of 10 participants
He is 21 years old, already has a number of successes to his name and has passed the magic 2600 mark with his FIDE rating: Dmitrij Kollars, who is looking forward to his first appearance at the Sparkassen Chess Trophy in July. He was already awarded the grandmaster title in 2017 and has also been active in the German Bundesliga for several years. Last year, the professional chess player was able to play only few tournaments at the board, but won the strong Claus Dieter Meyer Memorial Tournament in Bremen in October. His last appearance at the "DSB-Kader-Challenge" was also successful, so Kollars will go into the Dortmund tournament quite optimistic.
So the ten participants are fixed: Deutschland Grand Prix - Sparkassen Chess Trophy 2021 (sparkassen-chess-trophy.de)
The draw of the lots for the rounds will also take place shortly so that the players can prepare specifically for the tournament.
Well-known world-class player will be in Dortmund in July
He has played for three German clubs in the "Schachbundesliga" since 2005 and is a well-known face in Germany and the chess world due to a series of international tournament victories. Now Pavel Eljanov wants to add a victory at the Dortmund Chess Days to his collection. He is competing in the newly formed German Grand Prix and is certainly one of the favourites there. The list of his tournament victories is long. So far, he has won the Corus B in Wijk aan Zee in 2007, the Bosna Sarajevo tournament in 2009, the Grand Prix tournament in Astrakhan in 2010 and the Karpov tournament in Poikovsky in 2013, among others. He has been a permanent member of the Ukrainian national team since 2004 as an important part and won the 2010 Chess Olympiad with the team.
Currently, Eljanov was unhappy about being eliminated from the hybrid qualifying event for this year's World Cup. But this now gave him the chance to come to Dortmund. " I'm really happy to become a part of the history of such a famous event!" says Eljanov. We can be curious to see if he can place his name on another winners' list.
The current list of 9 confirmed players can be found here:
Deutschland Grand Prix - Sparkassen Chess Trophy 2021 (sparkassen-chess-trophy.de)
Exciting field of participants and norm chances in the 9-round tournament
As already announced, there will be a second top-class round robin tournament in addition to the Deutschland Grand Prix, which opens up opportunities for young German talents in particular to fight for coveted norms for the title of International Master. For this, one Grandmaster, two International Masters and 7 aspiring youngsters are at the start.
1. GM Mihael Saltaev, UZB, 2480, three Olympiads for Uzbekistan, Bundesliga player
2. IM Dennes Abel, GER, 2462, Bundesliga player
3. IM Thomas Beerdsen, NED, 2453, Bundesliga player
4. FM Ruben Gideon Köllner, GER, 2407, German Champion U16 2020
5. FM Oliver, Stork, GER, 2394, German Champion U18 2020
6. FM Alexander Krastev, GER, 2340, German Champion U14 2019, Team European Champion U18 2019
7. FM Marius Deuer, GER, 2283, 3rd place German Championship U16 2020
8. Sreyas Payyappat, IND, 2215, German Champion U12 2020
9. WFM Alessia Ciolacu, ROU, 2154, European Team Champion U18w 2018, Romanian Women's Champion 2021
10. Moritz Runte, GER, 2133, NRW Champion U18 2019, Winner German country Championship 2020
Picture: Alessia Ciolacu at the award ceremony for the Romanian Women's Championship