Exciting field of participants and norm chances in the 9-round tournament
As already announced, there will be a second top-class round robin tournament in addition to the Deutschland Grand Prix, which opens up opportunities for young German talents in particular to fight for coveted norms for the title of International Master. For this, one Grandmaster, two International Masters and 7 aspiring youngsters are at the start.
1. GM Mihael Saltaev, UZB, 2480, three Olympiads for Uzbekistan, Bundesliga player
2. IM Dennes Abel, GER, 2462, Bundesliga player
3. IM Thomas Beerdsen, NED, 2453, Bundesliga player
4. FM Ruben Gideon Köllner, GER, 2407, German Champion U16 2020
5. FM Oliver, Stork, GER, 2394, German Champion U18 2020
6. FM Alexander Krastev, GER, 2340, German Champion U14 2019, Team European Champion U18 2019
7. FM Marius Deuer, GER, 2283, 3rd place German Championship U16 2020
8. Sreyas Payyappat, IND, 2215, German Champion U12 2020
9. WFM Alessia Ciolacu, ROU, 2154, European Team Champion U18w 2018, Romanian Women's Champion 2021
10. Moritz Runte, GER, 2133, NRW Champion U18 2019, Winner German country Championship 2020
Picture: Alessia Ciolacu at the award ceremony for the Romanian Women's Championship
So there are three current German youth champions from 2020 alone from the different age groups on the board, led by the U18 champion Oliver Storck.
Surely all these strongest young players in Germany are capable of playing for an IM norm. Of course, the three top seeds want to fight it out and fight for the tournament victory and the prize money. The tournament starts on 13. July and the rounds will take place parallel to the Germany Grand Prix in the Dortmunder Westfalenhallen. The draw for the pairings of the games will take place in June. Of course, the games will all be broadcasted live.
Picture: Ruben Gideon Köllner